Initiatives, Programs, and Policies
Energy perspectives 2050+:
Preliminary results published in November 2020, detailed scenario results in March 2021: Electricity-based energy carriers including hydrogen necessary to achieve the Net Zero target, especially in the transport sector: 2050: 56 kT/a Hydrogen production (domestic), 73 kT/a Hydrogen import (ZERO Basis scenario) https://www.bfe.admin.ch/bfe/en/home/policy/energy-perspectives2050-plus.html
• Parliamentary initiative “Hydrogen. Assessment and options for action for Switzerland”, adopted by the National Council (2021.06.19)
-> Development of a Swiss Hydrogen Roadmap (https://www.parlament.ch/de/ratsbetrieb/suche-curiavista/geschaeft?AffairId=20204709)
• Parliamentary initiative “Green hydrogen strategy for Switzerland”, adopted by the National Council (2021.06.17)
• New association to promote production of CO2-neutral hydrogen (https://www.h2produzenten.ch/):
Eight Swiss utilities have founded the Association of H2 Producers to help achieve a breakthrough towards CO₂-neutral hydrogen production in Switzerland.
National Programme “H2-SNF”,
as of April, there is a new national programme promotes the use of heavy-duty vehicles (SNF = Schwere Nutzfahrzeuge) powered by green hydrogen (H2). The focus is on transport companies that wish to purchase, rent or lease hydrogen-powered heavy commercial vehicles from any supplier. If the H2 SNF is purchased, the subsidy consists of a one-off investment contribution of CHF 50,000. If the H2 SNF is rented or leased, the subsidy consists of an annual subsidy paid out until 2030, which covers around two thirds of the additional rental costs compared to a diesel SNF. https://wasserstoff.klik.ch/
Energy Perspectives 2050+ (EP 2050+) (in German) provides an analysis of a net zero scenario (ZERO) and development of the energy system that is compatible with the long-term climate target of net zero greenhouse gas emissions in 2050 and at the same time ensures a secure energy supply. Several variants of this scenario are considered. They differ in the mix of technologies including hydrogen and a different speed of the expansion of renewable energies in the electricity sector.
Research and Development
Ongoing national programmes of the Swiss Federal Office of Energy on Hydrogen and Fuel Cells. Overview on projects: https://h2fc.ch. Overall funding: 27.93 million Swiss francs per year (figures 2019).
A new website
Hydrogen and Fuel Cells in Switzerland provides access to the data and information on projects and a
Map of the Actors in the FCH sector.
Demonstration, Deployments, and Workforce Developments
Two Swiss energy providers (Alpiq, EW Höfe) together with SOCAR Energy Switzerland are building a new 10 MW electrolysis plant. The plant is scheduled to go into operation from end of 2022 and, when completed, will produce around 1000 to 1200 tonnes of green hydrogen per year for zero-emission mobility. This will allow to supply additional 200 fuel cell electric trucks (currently 46 on the road). The green hydrogen will be transported via a pipeline from the production facility to a nearby motorway service area, where SOCAR will install hydrogen fuelling stations. Simultaneously, a filling station at the service area will allow the hydrogen that is not sold directly at the service area to be supplied to other hydrogen fuelling stations in Switzerland (8 in operation, 2+ in planning/construction). These are currently being built as part of a cross-sector hydrogen mobility system operated by Hydrospider, Hyundai Hydrogen Mobility and the members of the H2 Mobility Switzerland Association. Thanks to the pipeline and the filling station directly on the site of the motorway service station, no additional traffic will be generated in the neighbouring villages.
• Hydrogen production
- Since June 2020: 2 MW PEM electrolysis at run-of-river plant (51 MW) in Gösgen (Alpiq), without grid, 300 t/a of renewable H2 supply for 50 fuel cell trucks
- 2021.02.04: Construction application for 2.5 MW electrolysis at run-of-river power plant (Rhine), production starting 2022
• Infrastructure 7 stations in operation (+6 since June 2020), 3+ in planning
• Vehicles Hyundai shipped 46 XCIENT Fuel Cellt rucks to Switzerland last year. Cumulative driving range:750,000 kilometres (May 2021). Another 140 units of the new XCIENT Fuel Cell shipped to Switzerland by end of 2022 (part of roll out of 1,600 trucks in Europe by 2025 by Hyundai Hydrogen Mobility with a lot of interest outside Switzerland as well)
• Power-to-Gas: 2.5 MW PEM electrolysis. Construction start 2020.04.09. Powered by waste incineration plant (15 GWh/year). CO2 from sewage gas used for biological methanisation. 18,000 MWh of renewable gas per year https://www.powertogas.ch 3b.
• H2 Bois SA: production of hydrogen based on wood. The plant, the first of its kind in Switzerland and the second in Europe, is to be built in Jura and will produce from 2022 on (225 tons of hydrogen, 1500 tons of biochar) https://new.in-24.com/business/7674.html
Events and Solicitations
• EFCF (2021.06.29-2021.07.02): European Fuel Cell Forum: Fuel Cells, Electrolysers & H2 https://www.efcf.com/2021
• German-Swiss H2 Forum (28.09.2021): NOW, SFOE
Investments and Funding
H2 Bois SA: production of hydrogen based on wood. The plant, the first of its kind in Switzerland and the second in Europe, is to be built in Jura and will produce from 2022 on (225 tons of hydrogen, 1500 tons of biochar) https://new.in-24.com/business/7674.html
Regulations, Codes & Standards, and Safety
Last updated June 2021
Switzerland Statement (PDF); 35th Steering Committee Meeing; Virtual; 22 - 25 June 2021
Dr. Stefan Oberholzer
Swiss Federal Office of Energy SFOE
Tel: +41 58 465 89 20